Time & Location
About the Event
This one day course starts on the Monday for an evening of networking and chat. A light supper is provided after which you will have the chance to read, explore and discuss any of John's books (if you wish) watch a recovery focussed film or documentary or just relax in our alcohol free bar.
- 08:15 - 09:15 breakfast.
- 09:30 - 12:30 morning training
- 12:30 - 13:15 lunch
- 13:30 - 16:30 afternoon training
If you wish to return home Tuesday evening you're more than welcome however the cost includes another nights accommodation and a leisurely breakfast. Spend the evening in the company of your peers, enjoy one of the many fine restaurants or visit the spectacular beaches, whatever you choose enjoy a relaxing evening in peaceful surroundings.
This training, including supper on the Monday, breakfast, lunch, tea and coffee on the Tuesday and breakfast on the Wednesday costs £225 pp.
Don't forget you will have to get a ferry to the Isle of Wight, we can currently give you a 15%
discount code if you bring the car. If you come as a foot passenger we can pick you up from any of the ferry terminals. Why not try the Hover Craft as an exciting way to cross the Solent.
We are limiting the numbers of these sessions to 6 persons to enable a more relaxed and comfortable experience.
This training is aimed at persons who work in drug and alcohol services and those in a health and social care role who need to improve their knowledge. It is designed to develop the competence of persons in line with the DANOS/NOS based competence framework.
- Give the ASAM definition of addiction.
- Understand the different areas described as diseased.
- Explore treatment philosophy.
- Explain ‘denial’.
- Explore why people use alcohol or drugs.
- List common effects of alcohol or drugs.
- List psychological effects of alcohol or drugs.
- List effects on intellectual function.
- Discuss related harms.
- Explain the features of dependance.
- Recognise the downward spiral of addiction.
- Explain the ‘moral model’ of addiction.
- Define peripheral neuropathy.
- Explain ‘blackouts’.
- Define the usual criteria for successful treatment of addiction.
- The removal alcohol and drugs - the gap left.
- Addiction Training£225£2250£0